Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Smashing Pumpkins - "Today"

I just read about the Smashing Pumpkins reforming and playing in NZ again soon. I think I will keep my memories of their fantastic Auckland Big Day Out concert intact and give this one a miss. However, they are great live so I wouldn't want to put anyone off. Their appearance at the first Auckland Big Day Out in 1994 was when it was a true alternative music event with under 20'000 people and room to move. BDO took a few years to catch on and unfortunately it has now outgrown Mt Smart Stadium... but with no alternative venue, it is a bit too uncomfortable for us oldies. Although, I may be tempted to see Tool, Iggy Pop and M.I.A amongst others next year. Now back to The Smashing Pumpkins.... "Today" was a favourite of mine from their 'Siamese Dream' album of 1993. I actually thought it would be the perfect wedding song, a nice change from all the usual saccharine wedding songs. Great idea but not to be, when I did marry some years later. In hindsight, it would probably have been better served as my divorce song. Sorry, the cynic in me is coming out. To me "Today" was a cool love song but it turns out it was actually about depression and suicidal tendencies....I had no idea whatsoever. So maybe I'm not that cynical after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment