Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Johnny Cash - "One"

With U2 in NZ recently, maybe it's time to have one of their songs.... but not by them, of course. I first caught U2 live at the Logan Campbell Centre while they were touring the 'Unforgettable Fire" album and it was fantastic. However, years later at Western Springs, I was much less impressed and things were getting predictable and even superficial. So that was about the time I moved on (after the Joshua Tree album). It's funny, because my flatmate at the time of the 'Joshua Tree' album hated them and we had lots of debates about them and I couldn't understand why he could not see any merit. I don't think it was him that finally convinced me, but not too long after, I think I had just tired of them... and suddenly we were on the same wavelength. However, I am not saying they didn't do anything great since then. I just wasn't a member of the U2 record buying public anymore. I also admit "One" is a great song.... but when I got Johnny Cash's 'American iii' album and heard his version, I was completely blown away. His interpretation respects the original, but at the same time, he makes it his own.... unlike anyone else. I think Johnny cash was at his peak with this album, during his American Recordings (late career) period. Dark and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment