Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Friday, February 4, 2011

OP8 - "Sand"

OP8 was yet another side project for members of 'Giant Sand' Howe Gelb, John Convertino and Joey Burns (the latter two are also the main members of 'Calexico'). OP8 only released one album... although I think the idea originally was to release more with a range of guests. The album 'Lush' was released in 1997 and I was going through a 'Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood' rediscovery period at the time so this album was a godsend for me. "Sand" was a Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood original and OP8 did it justice. The guest on 'Slush' was Lisa Germano and she works so well with these guys. I know I have stated before about the so-called new Nancy and Lee coming along here and there but in 1997 Howe Gelb and Lisa Germano owned that title.

No comments:

Post a Comment