Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Monday, July 16, 2012

Shelby Lynne - "Black Light Blue"

Shelby Lynne seemed to come from nowhere in 1999 with the release of her album 'I Am Shelby Lynne' but she had actually previously released five albums before that breakthrough album. While she may be remembered now as a contemporary artist similar to Sheryl Crow, this album did show some signs of her ability as a soul singer (more Dusty in Memphis than Aretha). In fact, she released a Dusty Springfield tribute album 'Just a Little Lovin' in 2008, which was no real surprise to anyone who bought 'I Am Shelby Lynne.' The closing track is the laid back, string-laden "Black Light Blue" - a perfect slice of white soul. To be honest I don't often go back to the 'I Am Shelby Lynne' album anymore... but I definitely go back to "Black Light Blue". Shelby in Memphis!

No comments:

Post a Comment