Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Talk Talk - "Have You Heard the News?"

"Have You Heard the News?" is from Talk Talk's debut album 'The Party's Over' and while they may have been written off as romantic/synth pop wannabes at that stage, they deserve much more credit. We know they became one of the greatest bands of their time, but even when they started they were probably the best band of that genre, although popular culture tells a different story.... but when was popular culture ever right? The fact that I can easily play 'The Party's Over' from start to finish - without cringing, is proof enough. Anyway, the strings and piano in the chorus of "Have You Heard the News?" get me every time.... and there have been many times. Maybe it's just me but this song just moves me - it's hard to explain but I think you all have your own example. This was my soundtrack of the early 80's with the (over the head) walkman headphones on. I remember buying this album and INXS' 'Shabooh Shoobah' on cassette in Sydney and there is only one of the two I still play today.

No comments:

Post a Comment