Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Melanie De Biasio - "I'm Gonna Leave You"

Melanie De Biasio is my latest discovery that I can't get enough of. The Belgian jazz chanteuse released her second album 'No Deal' last year - but it is more of a recent discovery for me and I can't stop playing it. I love jazz, admittedly in smallish doses, but this one takes me to the other end of the ledger. I was originally hoping to get the vinyl version for Record Store Day, which is this Saturday, but I can't find it anywhere online in New Zealand and I'm too impatient to order it from Europe.... so an iTunes download did the trick. "No Deal' is a must for all fans of Billie Holliday, Nina Simone, Portishead, Velvet Underground and Nico, Angelo Badalamenti (Twin Peaks), Talk Talk, Jeff Buckley... I could go on forever and there still wouldn't be an uninteresting artist listed. The album is dark, sparse and haunting throughout its thirty something minutes. "I'm Gonna Leave You" is a stunning Nina Simone cover. I don't want this to be my obsession alone....

No comments:

Post a Comment