Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tom Verlaine - "Yonki Time"

True fans of 'Television' more than likely progressed on to some of Tom Verlaine's solo material. However, his self titled debut solo album may have been overlooked by some of them... it's never too late to make amends. The album was released in 1979 and I bought it 2nd hand sometime in the 80's. I didn't know what to expect - but was blown away. This album had everything... some inevitable 'Television' moments, definitely some Velvet Underground influences coming through, and some great Tom Verlaine guitar, which was very much expected and relished. I still play this LP a lot and I am now asking myself why I haven't downloaded a digital version. I love every song passionately and most of them bring back 80's memories instantly. "Yonki Time" is probably the closest to a throw-away song... but not filler - just a bit of fun. It starts off sounding like Lou Reed and then it turns into something you've never heard before. From when I first heard Yonki Time, to this day, if I get asked "what time is it?" I always feel like shouting out "It's Yonki Time"... and occasionally I do.

10 comments:

  1. No, it basically sucks as a song....but the album itself is excellent....he carries post Television music on well.....unfortunately, later he went a bit wacky with poetry and English crap (I think Patti Smith screwed him up - overrated as she is). "Verlaine"..pick it up, fine music. My fav..."Last Night".

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it basically sucks as a song....but the album itself is excellent....he carries post Television music on well.....unfortunately, later he went a bit wacky with poetry and English crap (I think Patti Smith screwed him up - overrated as she is). "Verlaine"..pick it up, fine music. My fav..."Last Night".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take your point. I accept that Yonki Time is the wacky song from a very strong album. But an album I couldn't stop playing right through. Last Night is a great song - my favourite originally was the closer Breakin' in my heart. Television's Marquee Moon is legendary.

      Delete
  3. I always thought Yonki Time was really well made and really difficult to love. For example, the screaming is pretty well made, timed and funny. And, now that I just learned Yonki is Spanish for a heroin junkie, I think the song makes sonic sense to me and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "Yonki Time." As a song...well, no one needs to cover it, do they? But I love it. It makes me smile every time I hear it. And like you...if you ask me what time it is...I have to make sure I don't YELL that "It's Yonki Time."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear it's not just me.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete