Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Jack White - Record store day 2013

It is Record Store Day today, which is a big day for music geeks and musicians. It does help to live in a big city though. I called in at the local CD shop, just in case they had some new vinyl for the occasion, but it wasn't to be. Okay, I didn't really expect them to, or even blame them for not getting involved.... in fact, Jason from the CD shop informed me that we are lucky to even have a CD shop, as some nearby towns i.e. Rotorua, no longer do. I wasn't going to let that stop me, it is Record Store Day after all, so I'm not going home without some vinyl, end of story. I only had one option, an option that wasn't anything new to me, I should add. Obviously it was going to be a tour of the Op Shops and I just happen to know them quite well. The only problem is the amount of James Last, Mantovani, Richard Clayderman and Roger Whittaker albums you have to sift through on your quest, which usually ends up fruitless... other than the knowledge that those artists must've sold truckloads of records that were (possibly) hardly played. It was the Hospice shop that paid dividends for me today. The price of $1 for 5 records has bargain written all over it. But (yes there is a but), it is actually hard to find 5 that you would want to take home, unless, of course, you are a fan of James Last and co. For anyone still reading this post - I will list my Record Store Day purchases below....
I haven't googled or wikipedia'd any of the records at this stage, so my knowledge of these records is exactly the same as when I bought them.
Record 1, 'From the Meticulous to the Sublime' by Blossom Dearie. Condition VG. I don't know anything about this artist whatsoever, which is exactly what I'm after with Op Shop purchases, other than the Beatles Butcher Cover or similar.
Record 2, 'The Best of' by Johnny Tillotson. Condition Excellent. As above... not familiar to me at all.
Record 3, 'No Regrets' by The Walker Brothers. Condition Excellent. It looks a bit dodgy going by the cover... like it is well after their peak. It also seems to be a covers record... but it is The Walker Brothers, so there is at least some credibility. Anyway, at 20 cents, no big deal if it stinks.
Record 4, 'Words & Music' by Jackie Trent & Tony Hatch. Condition VG. I've got a few Jackie Trent EP's so I'm familiar with the twee 60's sound. This was an obvious choice when it presented itself.
Record 5, 'The Best of' by Louis Armstrong. Condition VG. This is a double album in a sublime gatefold sleeve. And it features my favourite Louis Armstrong song "La Vie En Rose".... the gold nugget of my Record Store Day purchases.
Not quite living up to a visit to Real Groovy Records... but at least I can say I participated in Record Store Day.


The Record Store Day video below, featuring Jack White, is proof that he isn't just a brilliant musician... it is hilarious.

1 comment:

  1. The results are in.....
    1, Blossom Dearie - fantastic! A jazz artist with a girlie/childlike voice, cocktail piano etc... recipe for disaster, right? Well not this time. Gold.
    2, Johnny Tillotson - Sucked big time. DNF.
    3, Walker Bros - Better than expected but probably won't feel a needle in it's groove again... soon. No podium finish.
    4, Jackie Trent and Tony Hatch. Lived up to expectations but did not exceed them. Bronze.
    5, Louis Armstrong. A great package all round. Silver.

    ReplyDelete