Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bon Iver - "Calgary"

I didn't believe the hype about Bon Iver at the time of the release of their debut album " For Emma, Forever Ago" in 2007. I heard all the stories about the leading member Justin Vernon holing up in a cabin over winter, where he wrote most of the songs. I also heard the stories of his relationship and former band breakup. I also heard about his bout with mononucleosis... all of this before any music, I must add. And then I heard "Skinny Love" and everything changed... I was wrong. The stories suddenly became interesting. The self titled second album is out now and it is certainly more expansive than the debut but still has the unmistakable Bon Iver falsetto and harmonies. The first single "Calgary" reflects all of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment