Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Smiths - "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"/Sandie Shaw - "Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now"

I should apologize for having another 'Smiths' song on here, but once again, I won't. To a Smiths fan, they were OUR band, we understood everything about them and we thought they were our very own treasure... like a little club that you could be a member of, based only on your degree of obsessiveness. Obsessed no, totally obsessed, close. "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" was like the quintessential Smiths song... shit, there was even "miserable" in the title... do I really need to go on. What a lot of people may not realize is that "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" was actually inspired by Sandie Shaw's "Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now." Morrissey and Johnny Marr were both fans of Sandie Shaw and they ended up persuading (actually, probably not much persuading) her to record "Hand in Glove." At Bitter FM we also play "I don't Owe You Anything," which was a live collaboration with The Smiths. Let's start a Taupo Smiths appreciation club... anyone got a suitable bedsit?



Sandie shaw - "Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now"


Sandie Shaw and The Smiths - "I don't Owe You Anything"

No comments:

Post a Comment