Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Presets - "My People"

The first time I heard Australian electro-pop band 'The Presets' was on a Modular Recordings label compilation. Their song "My People" stood out initially, although, I must say the label would have to be the coolest Aussie label at present. It is no surprise to find out they won plenty of ARIA (Australian Recording Industry...) awards for the album ' Apocalypso' and it also debuted at number one over there. The song was written about the asylum seekers or boat people who seek refuge in Australia but are usually intercepted and end up at the Australian detention centres. We, in New Zealand, are quite familiar with the plight of the asylum seekers through the news broadcasts. It is certainly not the typical protest song... but protest song it is.
The video for "My People" is a visual masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment