Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Smiths - "Well I Wonder"

This album track "Well I Wonder" from The Smiths' third album 'Meat is Murder' (yes, I acknowledge 'Hatful of Hollow' as their second album even though it includes out-takes etc. of previously released material) was a song that had strong performances from all four members. They were a tight and obviously talented four-piece but on "Well I Wonder" the bass from Andy Rourke is stunning, the drum sound from Mike Joyce is great considering this was the mid 80's and Morrissey's vocals were, well, as good as was to be expected from him. But the shining light here was Johnny Marr's acoustic guitar. Fucking brilliant.... sorry, but just brilliant doesn't do it justice. The Smiths were not around for long but they left a legacy that has not been repeated since. If you don't own a Smiths album and you are a little curious to start somewhere... I suggest you buy.... ALL OF THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment