Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Straitjacket Fits - "If I Were You"

"If I Were You" from Straitjacket Fits' third album 'Blow' was the highlight, for me, from this their final studio album. Shayne Carter is at his ironic best here. The album had Andrew Brough's jangly pop replaced with Mark Peterson's more edgy guitar sound. That said, "If I Were You" has the band holding back a bit.... but without compromise, of course.



If I Were You (Carter/Collie/Fits)

If I were you my friend, I'd clear my head and start again
I'd try the new one on, admire the way it looks so good on
If I were you and yours was mine, I'd take like a dog to the water
All I could do with the brand new sway, oh
If I were you, I'd hold you and touch all the water
I wouldn't stay up too long
Maybe for just a while, long enough to feel the place where you live

If I were you my friend, I'd wear your dress and steal your friends
I'd watch the words I said and wash my mouth and start again
Unscrew the thread that changed your mind
and twist it the way that you would have
If I were you then you'd define
I'd do it the way that you should have
And if I were you, I wouldn't come down so soon
If I were you, put on like a coat in the winter
I wouldn't stay up so long
Maybe for just a while, pray on everything you think about, time I said
And I come, come too soon
Do, do do do, do do
Do, do, do do, ahh

If I were you, I wouldn't come down so soon
If I were you, give me something new to think about
If I were you, I wouldn't trade places, no
And if I were you, I'd be like a light switched on in your room

No comments:

Post a Comment