Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lee Hazlewood - "Hey Cowboy"

Lee Hazlewood is well known for his work with Nancy Sinatra but he should be remembered for much more than that. While it could be said that the best songs he wrote were during that period with Nancy Sinatra, I would probably have to agree. But during his long career he had so much more that went relatively unnoticed. He worked with so many other artists including Duane Eddy, Anne Margaret and Gram Parsons. In 1970 he moved to Sweden and recorded the album 'Cowboy in Sweden' which started off as a TV special and subsequently the inevitable album. I would have to say it is my favourite Lee Hazlewood album and that is a big call, I know. "Hey Cowboy" is from that album and is a duet with Swedish singer Nina Lizell. His duets work so well because of the contrast in voices and this is no exception. It is so cinematic that it seems obvious it was originally part of a TV show, although, a movie would be even more appropriate, I think. Unfortunately he died in 2007 and we had a tribute show on Bitter a short time after and I think that may be due for a replay real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment