Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This Mortal Coil - "You and Your Sister"


This Mortal Coil were a bit of a supergroup during the 80's and 90's. "You and Your Sister" was from their 1991 album 'Blood'. This Mortal Coil had already released a couple of albums before this but I think this was their pot of gold. The leader of This Mortal Coil project was Ivo watts-Russell, who actually founded the 4AD label. This song "You and Your Sister" was a minor hit (not so much in actual sales) that should have been a major hit. The song is so toned down that it is all about the vocals.... and that is where the charm is. The vocals just happen to be from two of the indie rock music stars of the era, Kim Deal and Tanya Donelly. Although I had no idea it was them singing at the time, I fell in love with this song, without prejudice, I suppose. When I bought this album I remember my girlfriend at the time also fell in love with this song.... to the point she played it over and over. I was actually worried she would ruin it for me with her repetitive playing but thankfully a great song will always be a great song.

No comments:

Post a Comment