Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Sugarcubes - "Birthday"

This is what started it all internationally for Icelandic superstar Bjork. In fact, she was in a couple of bands before The Sugarcubes, but this was her first exposure outside of Iceland. With the help from legendary British DJ John Peel, this song 'Birthday" was voted as the single of the year on his radio show in 1987. It was my first taste of their unique sound and I was hooked. The cassette version of their debut album 'Life's Too Good' actually survived the workout it got in my car over the years. I don't think I had heard a song with just screaming as the chorus, or wailing, but melodic at least. This was a great way to be introduced to the sound of Bjork... because everything became a bit more normal after this. They came to NZ and I have to say, it was one of the strangest concerts I have ever been to.... fantastic though.

No comments:

Post a Comment