Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Friday, March 18, 2011

My Bloody Valentine - "Lose My Breath"

Okay it's St Patrick's Day and the logical reason I'm late with my posting would be because I have been drinking too much guinness and that is exactly what happened... St Pat's is not what it used to be at the Taupo bars, but still a lot of fun and if nothing else, a good excuse to have a few beers. Anyway, for the day to celebrate everything Irish it would be wrong not having an Irish band for today's blog. 'My Bloody Valentine' were one of the greatest Irish bands... and there are a lot to choose from. "Lose My Breath" is one of my favourite 'My Bloody Valentine' songs. It isn't even from their masterpiece album 'Loveless' it is from their debut album 'Isn't Anything' released in 1988. Belinda Butcher had just joined the band after original vocalist Dave Conway had left in 1987 and she is the vocalist here. Founding member Kevin Shields is the ultimate shoegaze legend but I keep going back to the Belinda Butcher songs first and this one in particular. "Lose My Breath" has a 'Stereolab' feel to it and that possibly attracted my attention initially.
I'll see if I can find a cool bar that will play this rather than The Commitments or fucking U2 next St Patrick's Day.

P.S. There are plenty of youtube videos of this song to attach but I found one with Edie Sedgwick... we've already had a blog about her on here (The Cult - Edie) so this is a bit of a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment