Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tift Merritt - "Mixtape"

I had never actually taken the time to listen to anything from Tift Merritt until I heard a friend play this song and I was totally surprised when I was told who it was. I don't know why I had preconceived ideas about Tift Merritt's music but I suppose we all fall in that trap occasionally. It is a good radio friendly song that radio doesn't play (except Bitter FM, although, I'm as guilty as the others after just discovering it by accident) and it is about a mixtape. Why haven't there been other songs about the good old mixtape?.... they were the 'playlist's' of the generations before the iPod came along. A mixtape was like a love letter. So personalised to the person it was for and you could spend hours compiling it... and the recipient was not always as appreciative as you thought your effort deserved. Thank god cassette tapes are no longer with us but at the same time there was something quite special about the customised mixtape.

No comments:

Post a Comment