Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Gram Parsons - "Brass Buttons"

I was talking to a friend recently about the re-release of the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street" album. He is a big Stones fan and was a bit disappointed with the unreleased songs and in his opinion, they haven't really got much in the way of unfinished or unreleased material left in the vaults. The interesting fact that came out of the conversation was that Gram Parsons was one of the many people who passed through the house they were renting and recording the album at. So instead of having a Stones song, which I had in mind when I started this blog, I have now decided on a Gram Parsons song instead. I first heard "Brass Buttons" on a Lemonheads album and at the time I didn't realise it was a cover. I soon found out about the original artist and enjoyed discovering more of the Gram Parsons catalogue. His story is a tragic one, like many of that era, in that he died much too soon.... that was in 1973 and he has been very influential to many artists, to this day. He was also an early member of the Byrds, as well as a member of the Flying Burrito Brothers before going solo. This song is from his 'Grievous Angel' album and it is probably the best place to start.


1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love Gram Parson...And his duets with Emmy Lou..."Brass Buttons" I believe was a tribute to his Mother..."Hickory Wind"...Is a song we always played...At the end of the evening...As he wrote so long ago..."All the riches and pleasures...What else could life bring..."...Loved him in the misspent daze of my youth...early '70's...Still love to listen to the old vinyl...Glad I came across your blog...

    ReplyDelete