Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Monday, May 17, 2010

Karen Elson - "The Ghost Who Walks" (Live Acoustic)

I've got a question for you... Should actors and supermodels stick with acting and modeling and leave the music to the musicians? Well, my answer would be Yes and No respectively. "Yes" because every actor seems to be a wannabe singer but not too many of them are memorable at all. I suppose you could argue that Bonnie Prince Billy and Jenny Lewis are two examples of actors that are now very good and well respected singer/songwriters and I cannot disagree there. However, how serious were they about acting anyway. As far as I know they haven't ventured back into it. On a lesser note, you could also argue that Scarlett Johansson, Juliette Lewis and Zooey Deschanel (She & Him) have some credibility and there may be something there.... But I'm still not completely convinced. I'm not too sure about Juliette Lewis, but in the cases of Scarlett and Zooey, their musical projects have been in collaboration with well respected musicians... so they haven't been true solo projects, in that respect. Now for my No answer. "No" because when it comes to supermodels, I only know of two of them that sing... and they are both great. Karen Elson and Carla Bruni are the supermodels I am talking about. Carla has released about three albums now. She is a true singer/songwriter with fans that didn't even know about her former life... until later on. Karen Elson is similar to Carla, except she is only just releasing her debut album. I do know she is good though, from the few recordings I have heard of hers. She also wrote all but one of the songs on the forthcoming album. The song that this blog was to be about is called "Coming Down" and was released on a compilation album put together by Michael Stipe of REM. It is fantastic and is played quite a lot on Bitter FM. Unfortunately I couldn't find a link to add it here and it isn't even on iTunes (NZ). Because she is consistently good, the song I have posted is excellent as well. It is the title track from her forthcoming debut album.
Updated. I've decided to add a comment here about the fact that she is Jack White's wife. I left that out of the blog because I didn't think it was relevant... but it could be seen as a similar reason to write her off, as I did with the actresses in the blog. However, I still maintain the view that she was a singer/songwriter before they met and she writes her own material. I welcome any comments though.


No comments:

Post a Comment