Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sneaky Feelings - "Husband House"

The Flying Nun label during the 80's and 90's changed the New Zealand musical landscape and introduced the so-called Dunedin sound to the world. It wasn't a huge worldwide audience, due to the largely primitive (or 4-track bedroom) recordings but it was a passionate one and very influential. In 1990 it was partly sold to Festival and through merges and take-overs it was fully owned by Warners at the time of its recent sale. That sale was to Roger Shepherd, the founder of the label. It has been left a little too idle over the years and I expect some respect will be brought back with Roger now running it again.... particularly the back catalogue.
Husband House by Sneaky Feelings came out in 1985 on Flying Nun and I clearly remember the first time I heard it. I was at my girlfriend's flat in Avondale. It was a Sunday evening and we were just on the couch chatting and then this song came on the radio (probably Radio Hauraki, which was unusual for them to be playing this but being a Sunday night could've been the reason) and for the next 4 minutes I didn't hear a word she said and I probably just nodded my head at the appropriate times, while I was taking this song in. I know it's not an interesting story but it was one of those moments when a song just made the surroundings disappear around me. I think I had the 12" Single/EP by the end of the week. It is still fantastic now and certainly has that Dunedin sound to it. Although, Sneaky Feelings were regarded by some, as Flying Nun outcasts.... not quite fitting in. Which was something, band member Matthew Bannister touched on in his book 'Positively George Street' which was published in 1999 and is probably at a library near you.


No comments:

Post a Comment