Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Friday, May 28, 2010

This Mortal Coil - "Song to the Siren"

This Tim Buckley cover by 'This Mortal Coil' was released in 1983 and brought a renewed interest in Tim Buckley nearly 10 years after his death. I was one of the many that had discovered Tim Buckley for the first time, after the release of this song. I have to admit I never really became a huge fan but I appreciated his unique style of singing. However, I did love the similar, if a bit more refined, vocal style of his son Jeff Buckley. This version of "Song To The Siren" doesn't try to re-invent it at all. It is as sparse as the original and I'm thankful they didn't over produce it like just about everything from the 80's. The vocal performance from Elizabeth Fraser of the 'Cocteau Twins' is exactly what we would have expected from her.... second to none. Better than the original, in my opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment