Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Monday, August 9, 2010

Jill Sobule - "I Kissed A Girl"

Jill Sobule is a clever and witty singer songwriter and this, probably her most recognised song, "I Kissed A Girl" is a funny tale of a couple of girls comparing notes about their boyfriends and ending up having a slight lesbian encounter. To me, she has a similar irony in her songs to Loudon Wainwright III. With "I Kissed A Girl" she wasn't trying to be controversial and she definitely wasn't using the subject matter to help sell millions.... the same could not be said about the Katy Perry song of the same name. In fact, I found a reply from her, when questioned about that Katy Perry song.... from an interview on therumpus.net website...
(here it is)
*************************
For those that don’t know or are very young, I had a song in 1995 called, “I Kissed a Girl.” When Katy Perry’s version came out I started getting tons of inquiries about what I thought. Some folks (and protective friends) were angry, and wondered why she took my title and made it into this kind of ”girls gone wild” thing. Others, including my mother, were excited because they thought I would somehow make some money out of it. Unfortunately you can’t copyright a title… bummer.

As a musician I have always refrained from criticizing another artist. I was, “well, good for her.” It did bug me a little bit, however, when she said she came up with the idea for the title in a dream. In truth, she wrote it with a team of professional writers and was signed by the very same guy that signed me in 1995. I have not mentioned that in interviews as I don’t want to sound bitter or petty… cause, that’s not me.

Okay, maybe, if I really think about it, there were a few jealous and pissed off moments. So here goes, for the first time in an interview: Fuck you Katy Perry, you fucking stupid, maybe “not good for the gays,” title thieving, haven’t heard much else, so not quite sure if you’re talented, fucking little slut.

God that felt good.
*************************
Thanks therumpus.net (For the complete interview - go to that website and search Jill Sobule)

Actually, what she said there about the professional writers behind the Katy Perry song was exactly what I thought when I first heard it... it just sounded so contrived and manufactured. Where-as the Jill Sobule song never ever sounded that way to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment