Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

IMonster - "Daydream In Blue"

Sheffield band 'I Monster' have been an electronica favourite of mine for years. I first heard this song... coincidently, around the time I also first heard The Gunter Kallmann Choir's version, which I thought was the original. But it was originally released by a Belgian band 'Wallace Collection' in 1968. However, I Monster sampled the Gunter Kallmann cover version and added other samples and extra vocals etc. This version has really given the song another life. Lupe Fiasco even sampled it for his own version featuring Jill Scott. So technically he sampled a sample of a cover.... in fact most of the samplers used all but the original..... are you confused yet? I Monster have a knack of adding enough tweaks and turn enough knobs to lift a song without over doing it. Another thing about them is their fascination with Hammer Horror movies, which I also share. Their name "I Monster", a record label of theirs "Twins of Evil" and a recent single "Lust For a Vampyr" were all Horror movies.




And just for the hell of it, below is the trailer for the Hammer Film "Twins of Evil"

No comments:

Post a Comment