Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo

Monday, June 7, 2010

Velvet Underground - I'm Waiting For The Man

I could have chosen any of the songs from the debut album from The Velvet Underground for this blog. But "I'm Waiting For The Man" is a good representation of their sound and has to be one of their greatest songs anyway. The album 'The Velvet Underground & Nico' was released in 1967 and features plenty of other classics like "Sunday Morning" and "Venus in Furs" along with the Nico sung "Femme Fatale" and I haven't even mentioned the classic drug song "Heroin"..... In fact, drugs were the subject matter for a lot of their songs, including "I'm Waiting For The Man" which is about waiting to buy some heroin from a drug dealer...... he goes on to say "$26 dollars in my hand" and even the street corner. I love the New York sound from that era and it's well known that The Velvet Underground influenced a lot of bands and still do. The Dunedin sound of the Flying Nun bands in the 80's had a real Velvet Underground influence... in my opinion. Particularly The Clean or anything from David Kilgour thereafter. I'm sure I'm preaching to converted anyway, with a song such as this, so I've included a live video from 1972 as well... which is a slightly different version.





No comments:

Post a Comment